Frequently asked questions

What do I need to teach in Hong Kong?

You will need a Degree for your visa sponsorship, related teaching experience and a tefl or other teaching certification. Note: Having a unique skill helps to speed the process of getting a higher chance of a working visa!

What do I need to teach in China?

In China, the rules are even more stricter than Hong Kong! If you are applying as a native English speaking teacher then you need to be a native English speaker. Usually countries like USA, UK, AUS, South Africa or even Singapore passport holders have a higher chance. So if you are applying as a non-native English speaker then make sure you apply as a language teacher instead. Saves you the hassle of being rejected immediately!

Is expensive to live in Hong Kong?

Yes and no, it really depends on where you plan to live in Hong Kong and how you want to live your lifestyle. There are many teachers in Hong Kong that can survice on a salary ranging between $18,000 and $22,000 HKD.

Should I apply through an agency?

The world is filled with different types of agencies so be sure to read the contracts before signing. If you find a reliable source then sometimes it's easier to get a job in Hong Kong for first time comers! You can search on FB and meet other teachers in Hong Kong that are already working and have more knowledge of which path you should take!

Why does ShiShiShaSha have no fees or charges?

It's simple, the market is raving with agencies and the competition is big. Agencies out their want to take a cut of the cake so we decided that it was better for the schools to pay us and then teachers would be happier in not paying any fees at all.

Should I do a TEFL?

Having a TEFL, CELTA or TESOL is a plus for many hiring schools so YES, it's good to have one but since many are done online. Its become more and more easier to get one and getting a visa may have some difficulties. Try to get something new or unique related to teaching. The more rare of a skill it is to fine in Hong Kong, the easier it is to get a working visa in Hong Kong! Visit for more information

How much should my expected salary be?

The average income in Hong Kong for a local teacher is around $18,000 HKD and for an overseas professional teacher around $22,000 to $24,000 HKD. For a more experienced and qualified teacher, the salary would be in the range of $25,000 to $30,000 HKD. You can try applying for the NET SCHEME but note that there is a queue of candidates waiting and the reply may not be as efficient.

Where can I find a reliable estate agency to help me find accomodation in HK?

There are many ways to find agencies for housing in Hong Kong. You can try the most visited or search for flatshares on Facebook, too. If you are looking for one that speaks English and won't cost you an arm and a leg!
Send an inquiry to We'll be glad to help for free!

Can you help find private students to teach?

Yes, we have many enquiries looking for native English tutors that can be long term and reliable as well being experienced at teaching. Note; we will collect the first classes as a referral fee. Since this isn't a full-time or part-time position with a contact.